Private equity real estate investment firm KingSett Capital has filed documents with the City of Toronto supporting a redevelopment proposal on Queen Street West in Parkdale. According to the filing, in addition to bringing a range of dwelling units to the northwest corner at Brock Avenue, the new building would re-energize the pedestrian realm with a community hub space and the re-introduction of active retail where defunct Toronto fashion industry staple Designer Fabrics stood for 64-years.
Aerial of Subject Site illustrates existing buildings: 1354 & 1356 Queen St West; 1358 & 1360 Queen St West; 8 & 10 Brock Ave; 12 Brock Ave; 14 Brock Ave. Image courtesy of Giannone Petricone.
The site at 1354 through 1360 Queen Street West and 8 through 14 Brock Avenue is currently occupied by five primarily vacant low-rise mixed-use and residential buildings. The Planning Rationale written for the building states that it has been designed to respond to the rhythm and scale of the evolving built form context along Queen Street West and to provide a transition in scale to the adjacent properties.
While none of the buildings on the subject site are listed or are designated as heritage buildings, the building base would conserve and incorporate a portion of the existing facades of 1358-1360 Queen Street West, which are identified as ‘Potential Contributing Properties’ in the Parkdale Main Street Heritage Conservation District.
Rendering of proposed 9-storey mixed-use building with residential, retail and community space at the northwest corner of Queen Street West and Brock Avenue. Image courtesy of the architects, Giannone Petricone.
The developer’s Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment applications seek permission for a 9-storey mixed-use building with a total gross floor area of 9,699 m², resulting in an overall density of 5.2 FSI. A total of 117 new residential units are proposed, including 81 one-bedroom units (69%), 23 two-bedroom units (20%), and 13 three-bedroom units (11%), as well as two three-bedroom townhouses.
Designed by Giannone Petricone Associates, the proposal incorporates 448 m² of ground-floor retail, fitting in with adjacent businesses along Queen, and adding to the active pedestrian environment. At the rear of the building—which terraces down to the adjacent low-rise neighbourhood—would be a 91 m² community hub, programmed in collaboration with the local Councillor, City Staff, and Parkdale and Roncesvalles communities.
(L) Diagram of the proposed building and uses. Image courtesy of Giannone Petricone. (R) The portion of the 1358-1360 Queen St W façade that will be retained.
On the south elevation, the proposed ground floor retail maintains the fine-grained commercial main street character of Queen West and supports its vibrant street life. There is a 5.0 metre step-back above the second storey of the retained south elevation, and a further step back continues upwards through to Level 9. The step-backs provide a distinction between the original building fabric and the new construction and will help reduce both the physical and visual perception of the building from the street.
All of the amenity spaces are strategically located towards the southeast corner of the building in order to limit potential impacts to neighbouring properties. Indoor amenity spaces on levels 3 and 4 would be directly connected to outdoor amenity terraces. Additionally, 94% of the units have access to private outdoor terrace or balconies, while the remaining 6% of units have juliette balconies.
(L) View along Brock Avenue. (R) The building has been designed to respect the adjacent properties by incorporating multiple setbacks and stepbacks and provide an appropriate transition to the adjacent low-rise character. Image courtesy of Giannone Petricone.
A single level underground garage comprising 38 parking spaces for residents, would be accessed via two car elevators rather than ramps, given the compact floor plate. A total of 118 bicycle spaces would also be provided.
The buildings on the site currently contain only 5 residential rental housing units, one less than the threshold at which the City of Toronto requires redevelopments to include rental replacement units.
Additional information and images can be found in our Database file for the project, linked below. Want to get involved in the discussion? Check out the associated Forum thread, or leave a comment below.
* * *
UrbanToronto has a new way you can track projects through the planning process on a daily basis. Sign up for a free trial of our New Development Insider here.